Monday, 10 February 2020 10:53

27 visitors not granted permission to enter Jamaica over Coronavirus fear

Written by
Rate this item
(0 votes)

Jamaica has so far refused entry to 27 visitors, as it steps up its travel ban on certain individuals arriving from China.

The Ministry of Health imposed the travel ban last month to protect the country against the spread of the coronavirus.

In addition, Chief Medical Officer Dr. Jacquiline Bisasor McKenzie said on Sunday that 19 people are now in quarantine, following their arrival from China, since January 23.

Giving a breakdown of the arrivals, from January 23 to 10:00 p.m., February 8, she said that 116 people had arrived in Jamaica, “who had been in China 14 days prior to arrival here.”

Of that number, she said one person “had mild symptoms and was isolated; her symptoms have since improved.”

She revealed that, of the other 115, permission had not been granted for 27 to enter Jamaica; “69 have been assessed as low risk and have been discharged to their homes for follow-up by the parish health departments, and 19 persons, up to 10 p:m., on February the 8th, were in quarantine."

“These persons have all been assessed as low risk but remain under supervision until the health departments are confident that home quarantine can be facilitated at their respective homes,” she added.